Each year Beloit College releases the Beloit College’s Mindset List that reminds an old person like me about ways I can better communicate with college freshmen who tis year are part of the class of 2011. I confess that I know nothing about Beloit College except they publish this list each year. Each year I have found their list entertaining and informative.
Most of the freshmen entering college this fall were born in 1989. Here are a few of my favorites of this list of 70 items that can help in communicating with the class of 2011 (click the above link to see the entire list).
- What Berlin wall?
- Humvees, minus the artillery, have always been available to the public.
- They have grown up with bottled water.
- “Off the hook” has never had anything to do with a telephone.
- They were born the year Harvard Law Review Editor Barack Obama announced he might run for office some day.
- Wal-Mart has always been a larger retailer than Sears and has always employed more workers than GM.
- U2 has always been more than a spy plane.
- Tiananmen Square is a 2008 Olympics venue, not the scene of a massacre.
- MTV has never featured music videos.
- The World Wide Web has been an online tool since they were born.
- They never saw Johnny Carson live on television.