“May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you” (1 Thessalonians 3:12).
Think about it —
- Have you ever really tried to love someone you didn’t like?
- Have you ever heard someone ask how she could love her husband more?
- Have you ever wondered how you could love an enemy?
- Have you ever been called to love someone who was unlovable?
- Have you ever had someone suggest to love others you must first love yourself?
What is the secret to having a heart filled with love? God.
So we can pray to God, asking Him to make our love grow, even overflow. After all, our capacity for love is not determined by how we love ourselves. Instead, “We love because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19). God pours out His love on us until our lives are full and then His love splashes over on those around us.
Not only can we pray for love to grow, but also we can spend time in worship, acknowledging God’s love. And as we receive God’s love in increasing measure, we can experience a change in our hearts as our love grows.
Only God can turn a scorched desert of a heart into streams of love overflowing.